October 15, 2013 – Managing a valuable asset: improving local road condition
This report is the result of several discussion between members of the Highway Maintenance Group and various experts, industry representatives and local politicians. The refrain is always “something must be done”, but no one seems to be able to agree on what must be done…
The report recommends:
- Getting local roads into a satisfactory steady state for planned preventative maintenance as soon as possible.
- Improving borrowing facilities to allow councils to prevent roads deteriorating further before additional maintenance funding promised by government for the 6-years starting in 2015.
- Making asset management plans mandatory in return for access to central government funds for road maintenance.
- Allow further devolution of highways funding decisions, by encouraging decisions on how local authorities can spend central funding allocated for capital outlay to be made locally
- Optimising maintenance schedules across local and national strategic road networks, to minimise disruption to road users and the associated costs
To view or download the full report, please click here.
To view or download the full release, please click here.